Thursday, 31 March 2011

Spice Rack

We've needed a spice storage solution for awhile now. Because Darcy has gotten so into cooking, I didn't think it was silly to really get creative and spend some time making a serious spice rack.

I was watching Chef at Home one day (which I find SUPER irritating, but that's not my point) and I loved how Michael Smith had his spices in mason jars. It looked so pretty. He had them stored in a giant pantry; I think they had their own freakin' wall. I definitely don't have that much space, but we do have a pass-through window that separates the kitchen and dining room. I decided to build a shelf that would fit perfectly in the space to hold mini masons of spices.

I have to thank my friend Tom for supplying the materials and the skills on this one (I still owe him a dinner!) He did encourage me to get on the saw and make a few cuts. So I did. Felt awesome. So tough.


It took me a long time and more than a few coats of paint to complete this project, but it's finally up! There was even space at the top to hold our cute le creuset mini cocottes!


Ack! Adorable. A picture wont do it justice, but this thing looks great in the morning when the sun is shining through it. Have I mentioned that I love spring?

3 comments:

  1. Great work! I love storing spices in Mason jars, it really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing it in person, it really is beautiful! I love it and can't wait until I can have one myself. Once me and Matthew move (one day) I'll definitely get that big hunk of man over to my place to show me how to make one.

    ReplyDelete